[cc-licenses] Use cases for cc by-sa compatibility with GPL

drew Roberts zotz at 100jamz.com
Thu Jan 26 08:25:49 EST 2012

On Saturday 21 January 2012 15:53:46 Ben Finney wrote:
> drew Roberts <zotz at 100jamz.com> writes:
> > I don't want my BY-SA works usable under the GPL in such a way that
> > they can be pulled out of a GPL program back into the original
> > art/music space and be under the gpl and not BY-SA.
>
> Why not? What things can recipients do under the GPL that you want to deny?

See:
http://lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/cc-licenses/2012-January/006644.html

and my other posts in this go around as it relates to the need for a stronger
copyleft for by-sa in the 4.x series.

The gpl idea I am familiar with from years back is mere aggregation.

The corresponding term I would put forth is creative aggregation.

The gpl uses "code" concepts as to what is creative aggregation or adaptation
versus mere aggregation. These tests will not necessarily work for non-code.
The gpl is designed to work for my code and I use it for that but not for my
art and I don't want my art under it while that is the case. Plus I don't
necessarily want my art under the umbrella of an organization that thinks
that it is unethical for code to be non-Free while the same is not true for
art. (non-code in general.)