[cc-licenses] 4.0 NonCommercial

Kerrick Long me at kerricklong.com
Sat Jan 21 22:50:05 EST 2012

I'm sorry to break it to you, but the only reason many people use CC-NC is *
because* it is so conservative. In some people's ideal world, everybody
would license using CC-BY-SA, but this is *not* an ideal world. Quite
frankly, if the CC-NC was any more liberal in its allowed uses, I would
simply discontinue use of Creative Commons. I use it so people can have the
photos for their desktop background, or print it out and hang it on their
wall at home, or share it on Facebook with their friends, or things like
that.

I do *not* want a blog running advertisements to use it, nor do I want a
non-profit organization with a budget for other things using it, nor do I
want it to expire and automatically be transferred into a CC-BY-SA
license—if money is being made by using my work, or a budget could be
allocated to pay for its usage, I want to earn a living, and I don't want
that to stop in a set number of years.

I joined this mailing list because I wanted to introduce what real-world
content creators who make their living producing creative works think into
this discussion. I can tell from what I've been receiving that very few of
you put bread on the table and a roof over your head by creating content,
because many of you seem to be *completely opposed* to enabling anybody to
make money with works licensed under any CC license.

Also, let's be honest here: CC-NC is *not* a "gateway license" for any
purpose. Those who are reserving commercial rights to their work are highly
unlikely to open it up further in the future, they are simply using CC-NC
because it's a widely-accepted, well-understood, generally-written license
that allows people to personally enjoy and share their work, but still
allows them to make money with it at every possible venture. If CC-NC gets
more "liberal," if it allows broader usage, many people who currently use
CC-NC will likely go back to writing their own custom license that is
likely to be *more restrictive* than CC-NC, just to ensure they can still
make a living with their work.

Thanks,
Kerrick Long
http://kerricklong.com/