[cc-licenses] Clarification for Non-Derivative License: grayscale from color not a derivative work

Mike Linksvayer ml at creativecommons.org
Sun Jan 1 16:14:42 EST 2012

On Sun, Jan 1, 2012 at 11:56 AM, Gregor Hagedorn <g.m.hagedorn at gmail.com> wrote:
> I wonder whether CC 4.0 could add a clarification to the ND clause,
> that simple, algorithmic reductions of the color depth of still or
> moving images is not considered a derivative work.

"The above rights include the right to make such modifications as are
technically necessary to exercise the rights in other media and
formats, but otherwise you have no rights to make Adaptations."

Surely b&w or greyscale printing is a legitimate "other media" or
"format"? I suppose one could quibble about technical necessity if
printer can produce color. I have no opinion, not that it matters.

Added summary to http://wiki.creativecommons.org/4.0/Sandbox#NoDerivs_condition

Mike