[cc-licenses] Catalogue right to CC 4.0

Aurelia J. Schultz aurelia at creativecommons.org
Wed Feb 15 12:19:59 EST 2012

Dear Kaisa,

Thank you for your email. Could you explain more about what the catalogue
right? What does it cover? And how does it differ from database rights?

Best,
Aurelia

2012/2/15 Mäkinen Kaisa <Kaisa.Makinen at hel.fi>

> Hello,
>

> Having database right included in the future CC 4.0 is a very welcome
> change, thank you for the CC-community for that. I would, though, very much
> like to see also the so-called catalogue right included in the CC 4.0.
>

> The catalogue right exists in the Nordic Countries (Denmark, Finland,
> Iceland, Norway and Sweden). To my knowledge, it does not exist anywhere
> else, but I would be interested to know if that is true. The catalogue
> right is a neighboring right, or sui generis -right, much like the EU
> database right.  Actually, the Nordic catalogue rights were a sort of model
> for EU database right. The scopes of these two rights are very similar, and
> in part, overlapping, so that a work can have both the sui generis database
> right and the catalogue right protection. Therefore, including the
> catalogue right in CC 4.0, assuming that the sui generis database right
> will be included, should be rather easy by, for example, simply linking
> them to the sui generis right in those jurisdiction where the catalogue
> right exists.
>

> Kaisa Mäkinen
>

> Legal Counsel, LL.M
>
> Helsinki Region Infoshare (www.hri.fi)

Aurelia J. Schultz (Miss), Counsel
Creative Commons
+1 650 294 4732 x487
Skype: aurelia.schultz

Please note: the contents of this email are not intended to be legal advice
nor should they be relied upon as, or represented to be legal advice.