[cc-licenses] 912 emails about DRM

Rob Myers rob at robmyers.org
Fri Apr 20 13:58:29 EDT 2012

On 04/18/2012 06:28 PM, Francesco Poli wrote:

> Exactly, and I think the case of digital works is especially
> illuminating, since there's no source availability requirement in
> current CC-by-sa: as a consequence, one can distribute a
> CC-by-sa-licensed digital work in a format that really hampers
> modifications, without being compelled to make source code (== the
> preferred form for making modifications) available in parallel.

Once can, but unlike with DRM one cannot have people fined or imprisoned
if they decide they are going to do the work of translating the work to
a more useful format.

Low-fidelity or non-machine-readable media are a separate issue from
legal restrictions. In the absence of copyright or DRM I can scan a
hardback book or rip a vinyl record, neither of which are high-fidelity,
digital, or read/write media.

Essentially, if we don't object to DRM we shouldn't object to copyright,
as they are both legal restrictions on our ability to use a work *to the
extent that we would otherwise be able to*. This is not a coherent
position for ShareAlike.

- Rob.