[cc-licenses] Attribution: please do not forbid accurate credit

Andrew Rens andrewrens at gmail.com
Thu Apr 5 22:17:26 EDT 2012

Hi Francesco

Thanks for raising this issue.

On 5 April 2012 13:50, Francesco Poli <invernomuto at paranoici.org> wrote:

> Hello everybody,
> Section 3(a)(1) of CC-by-nc-sa-v4.0draft1 includes the following part:
>
> [...]
> >     You must, to the extent reasonably practicable, remove the
> >     information specified in (i) – (iii) above if requested by
> >     Licensor.
> [...]
>
> where information specified in (i) - (iii) is basically, the author's
> name or pseudonym, the Attribution Parties, and the title of the Work.
>
> I'm still not convinced that this clause meets the Debian Free Software
> Guidelines. See my previous comment [1].
>
> [1]
> http://lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/cc-licenses/2012-January/006602.html

You can regard me as one of those who are sceptical whether the Debian Free
Software Guidelines should dictate licences used for many things that are
not software such as free education resources. Why shouldn't the Creative
Commons community decide such issues of principle rather than have them
decided by for Creative Commons by the Debian community?

> Since I don't think that a license can (allow a licensor to)
> forbid an accurate credit and meet the DFSG at the same time,
> I recommend that this clause be dropped entirely from CC-v4.0
> licenses, or, at least, amended so that it says:
>
> | You must, to the extent reasonably practicable, remove the
> | information specified in (i) – (iii) above if the information is
> | inaccurate or misleading and the removal is requested by Licensor
>
> I hope this suggestion may be implemented in the next draft.

I've advised many potential users of Creative Commons licences who are
reluctant to use Creative Commons at all, or plan to use Creative Commons
Attribution No Derivatives because they are concerned that their
reputations will be irreparably damaged by a remix of the works which they
license under Creative Commons. Most have been sufficiently reassured by
the provision which allows the licensor to require that the Attribution be
removed to use CC By SA and CC By. If this provision is removed then many
of those Licensors will choose to use CC By ND, or not to use CC at all.

> --
>  http://www.inventati.org/frx/frx-gpg-key-transition-2010.txt
>  New GnuPG key, see the transition document!
>  GnuPG key fpr == CA01 1147 9CD2 EFDF FB82  3925 3E1C 27E1 1F69 BFFE

Andrew Rens

ex africa semper aliquid novi (http://aliquidnovi.org)