[cc-licenses] Attribution: please do not forbid accurate credit

Francesco Poli invernomuto at paranoici.org
Thu Apr 5 13:50:04 EDT 2012

Hello everybody,
Section 3(a)(1) of CC-by-nc-sa-v4.0draft1 includes the following part:

[...]
>     You must, to the extent reasonably practicable, remove the
>     information specified in (i) – (iii) above if requested by
>     Licensor.
[...]

where information specified in (i) - (iii) is basically, the author's
name or pseudonym, the Attribution Parties, and the title of the Work.

I'm still not convinced that this clause meets the Debian Free Software
Guidelines. See my previous comment [1].

[1] http://lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/cc-licenses/2012-January/006602.html

Since I don't think that a license can (allow a licensor to)
forbid an accurate credit and meet the DFSG at the same time,
I recommend that this clause be dropped entirely from CC-v4.0
licenses, or, at least, amended so that it says:

| You must, to the extent reasonably practicable, remove the
| information specified in (i) – (iii) above if the information is
| inaccurate or misleading and the removal is requested by Licensor

I hope this suggestion may be implemented in the next draft.

--
 http://www.inventati.org/frx/frx-gpg-key-transition-2010.txt
 New GnuPG key, see the transition document!