[cc-licenses] Proposal: Derivatives-Only (DO)

Rob Myers rob at robmyers.org
Thu Dec 29 05:38:32 EST 2011

On 29/12/11 02:28, Mike Linksvayer wrote:

> A derivatives only license crafted to be compatible with other CC
> licenses, perhaps only BY-SA as you mention, could be interesting. The
> idea has occurred to me many times. But I think it would be hard to
> make part of the CC suite, even if the compatibility problems could be
> worked out and a compelling case were made that BY-DO-SA (sounds
> yummy!) would effectively expand the commons (accounting for
> cannibalization, etc) it would be hard to do so as part of the CC
> suite, due to the baseline freedoms issue mentioned above.

I've a soft spot for Sampling as it was the CC licence that was most
directly created to embody the ethic of a particular creative community.
I was surprised at the low uptake for it.

DO certainly wouldn't be *-free, and couldn't be part of the CC suite,
but it could be a kind of release allowing derivatives to be placed
under a CC license. Possibly this could be considered alongside timed
releases. Geographic releases (to simulate DevNations) shouldn't be
considered as they would remain restrictive in a way that timed or
derivatives releases wouldn't.

I'd rather work just be placed under a *-free license, but DO could be
an interesting way of protecting transformative fair use.

- Rob.