[cc-licenses] Articulating the commons: for the public domain, pro-noncommercial, and why require attribution?

Heather Morrison hgmorris at sfu.ca
Mon Dec 26 22:33:26 EST 2011

Several contributions of mine that may be helpful in developing the
Version 4.0 suite of licenses. Links to relevant blogposts follow.

Strengthen the opportunities to contribute directly to the public
domain.
Three pictures, one small gift to everyone, with love
http://poeticeconomics.blogspot.com/2011/12/three-pictures-one-small-gift-to.html
To everyone, with love

Noncommercial means noncommercial. It does not necessarily mean, I (or
my organization) necessarily reserves commercial rights for myself.
http://poeticeconomics.blogspot.com/2011/12/noncommercial-means-noncommercial.html
Journals with good creative commons models (all either permit or
require noncommercial)
http://poeticeconomics.blogspot.com/2011/12/journals-with-good-creative-commons.html

Why require attribution?
http://poeticeconomics.blogspot.com/2011/12/why-require-attribution-creative.html
Asks whether the idea of the individual author / creator is an
invention of the Enlightenment that is becoming less relevant with the
emergence of collaborative projects such as Wikipedia and Occupy.

best,

Heather Morrison, MLIS
Doctoral Candidate, Simon Fraser University School of Communication
http://pages.cmns.sfu.ca/heather-morrison/
The Imaginary Journal of Poetic Economics
http://poeticeconomics.blogspot.com