[cc-licenses] Time limited CC licenses for version 4.0 ?

Greg London email at greglondon.com
Thu Dec 22 08:27:27 EST 2011

> does sound familiar

Several years ago I suggested the idea of having a license that allowed
copyright holders to specify a shorter copyright term, after which point the
work was released to the public  without any restriction at all.

So CC-BY-NC-ND-EXP2040  would be by-nc-nd until 2040 after which point the
author would release the work into the public domain.

That was something I suggested a number of years ago and CC pretty much just
flat out rejected.

I dont know if that suggestion way back when is ringing some memory bells
for you now. Perhaps.

I still consider the idea of having a way to let owners to easily release a
work into the public domain after a period of time, and do so easily within
the CC framework to be useful to some owners, and possibly useful to people
battling the continual extending of copyright terms just before they are
about to expire, because it makes more people that copyright terms arent
written in stone but are rather a negotiation between the public as a whole
and authors which is negotiated by the government. Or at least that was the
idea the founding fathers had.

I believe I mentioned this in one of my copyright books, either "Bounty
Hunters" or "Libre Labyrinth". I know for certain I suggested to CC offering
a licence that allowed the owner to indicate the work eould enter the Public
Domain at some time earlier than copyright terms would do it. And IIRC, CC
pretty much made one comment that they were going to ignore it.

Greg London

Connected by DROID on Verizon Wireless