[cc-licenses] Time limited CC licenses for version 4.0 ?

Greg London email at greglondon.com
Thu Dec 22 08:37:58 EST 2011

I dont see it being any more complex than adding an EXP option to the
alphabet soup followed by a year and having that mean that January 1 of that
year the work becomes public domain. Or maybe CC-BY because CC doesnt have a
public domain license so explaining it requires more work. If the work
becomes CC-BY on January 1 of the expiring year, expiration should be fairly
easy to codify and everyone already knows what CC-BY means.

And you dont need anyone to register and track CC-NC-ND commitments. It is
attached to the work via its license. If ANYONE  gets a copy of the work and
it says CC-EXP2020, then they are free to treat the work as CC-BY starting
the year 2020.

I dont know if Project Guttenberg offers cc-by works, but them or a site
like them would simply need to keep a copy of the work around containing its
original licence containing the EXP option, and when it expires it is CC-BY.

Greg London

Connected by DROID on Verizon Wireless