[cc-licenses] CC0 beta/discussion draft launch

Claudio Ruiz claudio at derechosdigitales.org
Wed Jan 30 15:04:52 EST 2008

El 30-01-2008, a las 13:17, David Maeztu escribió:

> Hi Claudio
>
> I´m from spain but I`ve been working on legal issues about public
> domain
> in Spain, specially with moral rights, and as you know we share many
> parts of our legal codes.
>
> I think in Chile you have to read art. 11 of Copyright law in relation
> with art. 12 of Civil Code, both of Chile.
>
> Copyright law
> Art. 11. Pertenecen al patrimonio cultural común:
> c) Las obras cuyos titulares renunciaron a la protección que otorga
> esta
> ley;
>
> [Art. 11 Belong to common cultural patrimony: (Public Domain)
> c) The works whose holders resigned to the protection that grants
> this law]
>

> Civil Code
> Art. 12. Podrán renunciarse los derechos conferidos por las leyes, con
> tal que sólo miren al interés individual del renunciante, y que no
> esté
> prohibida su renuncia.
>
> [The rights conferred by the laws will could be resigned, provided
> they
> only watch the individual interest of the renunciante, and that is not
> prohibited its resignation.]
>
> As you say there´s a problem with article 86, but I cannot figure
> what´s
> the aim of the artícle 11.c if it´s forbidden by that 86.
>
> Art. 86. Son irrenunciables los derechos patrimoniales que esta ley
> otorga a los titulares de los derechos de autor y conexos,
> especialmente
> los porcentajes a que se refieren los artículos 50, 61, 62 y 67.
>
> [The patrimonial rights are cannot be waived that this law grants the
> holders of the connected rights of author and, specially the
> percentage
> to that articles 50, 61, 62 and 67 talk about.]
>
> It seems there´s a bug, :)

Oh yeah, art. 86 it's a HUGE bug.
But this not solve the bug, because art. 86 actually assert that *this
kind of rights* cannot be waived, so it's ok with civil code.
Moreover there are another possibility based on our strict
interpretation rules to solve this king of legal conflict, but as you
know, in our tradition each judicial decision only has relative
effects and not settle jurisprudence.

>> We've been in our National Congress debating the reform of
>> copyright law
>> and this is certainly a very important situation that we've
>> pointed, but
>> there's not solution at this time. I think this legal situation
>> must be
>> solved before spread CC0 in Chile. Sadly :(
>
> What told you, in National Congress, about this matter?
>
> Un saludo.

Actually right now we're in reformation process of our copyright law
in accordance with our US FTA. In this reformation process, congress
men are very concern on statue a law that not solve the legal absurd
on the digital world. Last year we were in our Representative Camera
and Senate to present this and another copyright issues as NGO
Derechos Digitales and also as CC local chapter, and we really think
that this project can resolve, if not all of them, a lot of copyright
problems that our law have. Senators also have emotional arguments in
order to statue a law that treat his children as thieves :). I've
write a post in my weblog about this [http://www.quemarlasnaves.net/2008/01/30/senadores-se-refieren-a-las-descargas-por-internet-buenas-y-malas-noticias/
].

Best,
Claudio

>> Claudio

>>> Maybe it'd be best to say that CC0 is the next iteration of the PD
>>> declaration.
>>>
>>>     * It's based on firmer legal principles.
>>>     * It's designed for international use.
>>>     * It's more thorough and extensive.
>>>
>>> I think the message there is pretty good.
>>>
>>> -Evan

>> Atentamente,
>> Claudio Ruiz
>> ONG Derechos Digitales