[cc-licenses] CC0 beta/discussion draft launch

Jordan S Hatcher jordan at opencontentlawyer.com
Fri Jan 25 05:06:27 EST 2008

On 24 Jan 2008, at 17:37, Evan Prodromou wrote:

> s/brand/name/ . "What are we gaining by using the new name 'CC0'
> rather
> than the old 'Public Domain Dedication'?"
>
> I think the answer is something like, "Using 'CC0' clearly marks the
> difference between a work _actually_ being in the public domain,
> something that varies by jurisdiction and that the creator can't fully
> control (or so we think), to a work being _effectively_ in the public
> domain (to the extent possible under applicable law), which the
> creator
> _can_ control."
>
> I think that's clear enough that people will be able to understand the
> change and the need for CC0, especially if the PDD is deprecated in
> favour of CC0.

I think that the key difference from a legal standpoint is that the
current CC PD dedication covers only copyright and that CCZero waiver
covers other rights as well (and not just database rights).

 From probably a more practical standpoint, the key difference is
that the PD dedication has been forked into a waiver and an assertion.

Thanks!

~Jordan

____
Mr. Jordan S Hatcher, JD, LLM

jordan at opencontentlawyer dot com
OC Blog: http://opencontentlawyer.com
IP/IT Blog: http://twitchgamer.net

Open Data Commons
<http://opendatacommons.org>

Usage of Creative Commons by cultural heritage organisations
http://www.eduserv.org.uk/foundation/studies/cc2007