[cc-licenses] CC0 beta/discussion draft launch

Jordan S Hatcher jordan at opencontentlawyer.com
Thu Jan 17 03:31:02 EST 2008

I posted some comments on the current draft and implementation up on
my site:

<http://www.opencontentlawyer.com/2008/01/16/dissecting-cczero/>

The major points:

-- (Just a note/comment) this is based on US law and isn't an
'unported' version. Is the unported template for internationalization
the Science Commons protocol?
-- Waiver of moral rights and the conversation we've been having
about CC v3.01
-- There is no sign up process like the current public domain
dedication -- Why not? I'd think that a 'signed writing' would be
needed or at least desired. Does this process fit that requirement?
If not, do you think some email process should be there?
-- Are patents and trademarks included in the waiver? If not,
shouldn't they be specifically excluded as the text of the waiver is
fairly broad? If they are, why? It isn't required as part of the
protocol.
-- Is there really a need to waive claims of unfair competition and
privacy when you are explicitly giving commercial enterprises and
others the right to use your work?
-- Does the legal code intend to cover database rights?  If so, I
suggest wording that tracks the directive closely.
-- The human readable summary of the waiver doesn't include moral
rights or database rights. This should probably be adjusted to match
both the sign up process and the legal code.

Thanks!

~Jordan

On 16 Jan 2008, at 03:20, Mike Linksvayer wrote:

> CC0[http://creativecommons.org/projects/cczero] is a Creative Commons
> project designed to promote and protect the public domain by 1)
> enabling
> authors to easily waive their copyrights in particular works and to
> communicate that waiver to others, and 2) providing a means by which
> any person can assert that there are no copyrights in a particular
> work,
> in a way that allows others to judge the reliability of that
> assertion.
>
> As announced[http://creativecommons.org/weblog/entry/7920] on CC's
> 5th anniversary, today we are announcing a beta of the CC0 user
> interface[http://labs.creativecommons.org/license/zero] and technical
> specification[http://wiki.creativecommons.org/
> CCZero_Technical_Overview]
> and discussion drafts of the CC0 legal tools:
>
> The CC0
> Waiver[http://labs.creativecommons.org/licenses/zero-waive/1.0/us/]
> will enable the author or owner of a work to affirm the copyright and
> related or neighboring legal rights that he or she has in a work, and
> then to fully, permanently and irrevocably waive those rights. By
> making
> this waiver, the Affirmer effectively dedicates all copyright or
> related
> legal interests he or she held in the work to the public domain – "no
> rights reserved". The CC0 Waiver (United States) will be an effective
> legal tool within the US and any other jurisdictions with equivalent
> law. It also will also be offered as a template indicating the scope
> of most of the rights that must be covered in other jurisdictions in
> order to effect an equivalent dedication to the public domain. Some
> jurisdictions may need to address additional rights, for example "sui
> generis" database rights and specific rights to data.
>
> The CC0
> Assertion[http://labs.creativecommons.org/licenses/zero-assert/1.0/
> us/]
> will provide a means by which any person may assert that there are no
> copyrights in a work, within a system that permits others to judge the
> reliability of the assertion, based on the Asserter's identity and
> other
> information the Asserter may provide. The CC0 Assertion (United
> States)
> is intended to address copyright status under US law. The Assertion
> may
> not be appropriate for Works created in or whose copyright status is
> governed by the law of other jurisdictions.
>
> Internationalization
>
> As with our existing core legal tools (six licenses ranging from
> Attribution to Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives), we want
> the CC0
> waiver and assertion legal tools to be valid worldwide and eventually
> ported to many jurisdictions worldwide to take into account the
> nuances
> [...]

____
Mr. Jordan S Hatcher, JD, LLM

jordan at opencontentlawyer dot com
OC Blog: http://opencontentlawyer.com
IP/IT Blog: http://twitchgamer.net

Open Data Commons
<http://opendatacommons.org>

Usage of Creative Commons by cultural heritage organisations
http://www.eduserv.org.uk/foundation/studies/cc2007