[cc-licenses] Requirements for ...: toward a practicable definition of "author name" ?

Matthew J. Agnello matt.agnello at gmail.com
Thu Jan 3 14:55:37 EST 2008

"Reasonable" seems to be the difficult part. For instance, thinking
beyond files for a moment, to credit yourself on a piece of ceramics,
you have to alter the piece itself; like plaintext, a pot or a
sculpture has no "metadata" (art museums usually ad a plaque of some
kind). The sculptor may not want to alter the piece just to provide
credit. It is reasonable to allow sculptors the freedom not to alter
their work unnecessarily. But to require a plaque might also be
unreasonable, especially if the work is functional -- imagine having
to sell a credits page with each teapot. Unnessecary paperwork and
beaurocracy is exactly what we want to avoid.

It is probably a good idea to give the user the most freedom to decide
how to credit sources with the licensor providing the most information
possible for the user to work with. How to protect sources from being
marginalized at the same time... not sure on that one yet.

Best,
// Matt

--
Matthew J. Agnello