[cc-licenses] Limitation of liability and CCZero

Jordan S Hatcher jordan at opencontentlawyer.com
Wed Feb 13 04:11:05 EST 2008

We had a question at Open Data Commons about limiting liability for
providers of data under the PDDL, our implementation of the Science
Commons protocol, but unlike CCZero, just for data.

I summarised and posted about it here:

<http://www.opendatacommons.org/2008/02/13/limiting-liability-in-the-
pddl/>

CCZero has no limitation of liability or indemnification clause (for
the Affirmer that is), and specifically notes liability may be
present for the "Asserter" and so some might wonder about the
liability of providers of work under CCZero. Some questions I see as
relevant for the development of CCZero:

-- Would adding a limitation of liability clause in a separate
document be compliant with the Science Commons protocol or with the
way CCZero is intended to be used?

-- Adding a limitation of liability clause in the Affirmer version
and requiring that CCZero be kept with the document could solve the
problem. Would this BSD/MIT style requirement of keeping the licence
with the work be compliant with the protocol or with the way CCZero
is intended to be used?

This one is probably one that will end up on cc-community, but how
would an indemnification clause fit in?

Thanks!

~Jordan

____
Mr. Jordan S Hatcher, JD, LLM

jordan at opencontentlawyer dot com
OC Blog: http://opencontentlawyer.com
IP/IT Blog: http://twitchgamer.net

Open Data Commons
<http://opendatacommons.org>

Usage of Creative Commons by cultural heritage organisations
http://www.eduserv.org.uk/foundation/studies/cc2007