[cc-licenses] Ver 3.01 - what about sui generis rights?

Paul Keller pk at kl.nl
Sat Oct 13 05:15:49 EDT 2007

> If we now are moving forward to a new version number, shouldn't this
> (or similar text) dealing with sui generis database protection be
> included in the "unported" license text as well? (With a note
> saying that it should not be included for jurisdictions where
> sui generis database protection doesn't apply.)

i am not sure if it is a good idea to include the database language
in the unported licenses. as you note above the database language
should only be included in jursdictions where there is sui generis
protection of databases. now unported is not a jurisdiction, but the
majority of jurisdictions that do not have ported CC licenses does
not have sui generis protection of databases and therefor i would
that there is no real urgency to include this language in the
unported licenses

all the best,
paul keller
--