[cc-licenses] license draft usage scenario questions

rob at robmyers.org rob at robmyers.org
Mon Oct 30 10:45:50 EST 2006

Quoting Jörg Zastrau <dl1bku at gmail.com>:

> ok, now I distribute CC-licensed work on my web page for all my 20
> friends that are unlucky enough to own a MyPod-Player with DRM (for
> free) without providing anything else.
> Clearly, they cannot exercise their full rights

They can, just not on a device that uses DRM law to remove their rights.

Distributing DRM versions of the work would remove your friends rights with no
hope of legally restoring them from the versions of the files they receive.

If they cannot add the technological measures that trigger DRM law then
you are
unlikely to be able to do so yourself.

> - well, I could try to
> weasel out by arguing they could still take a photo/tape etc. to
> exercise their rights and the DRM device is read-only anyway (like a
> CD or a sheet of paper - you cannot really "unprint" or read thinks in
> the same way you put them on the sheet of paper). I could argue that
> they need to use another medium/format anyway.

If they are interested in their rights they do not want to be using DRM
devices.

- Rob.