[cc-licenses] license draft usage scenario questions

Henri Sivonen hsivonen at iki.fi
Sun Oct 29 03:56:54 EST 2006

On Oct 29, 2006, at 04:54, Jörg Zastrau wrote:

> Unfortunately Larry only owns a DRM-enabled portable audio player but
> there is a legal way to record the home-grown audio to the player (key
> is available).
>
> Can I comply with the license terms if I download the audio to his
> player?

You can comply with the license if you give Larry audio files without
TPM with instructions on how to load them on the player.

> - Is the issue of mixing GNU FDL content with by-sa content resolved?

No. You can have them side by side on the same audio device. If you
mix them, you can use the result in private but are not allowed to
distribute the result (without asking permission from every upstream
copyright holder).

> (I don't like DRM - but common
> sense suggests that we have to live with that in the future).

I don't think common sense suggests audio players that are TPM-only
and the user of the device cannot apply TPM.

> so - why not consider that parallel distribution approach treating the
> DRM-free-version similar to sourcecode in the GPLV2 and the
> DRM-enabled version as binary? I don't get it.

With GPLv2 there's the problem of tivoization. Parallel distribution
does not solve it.

Moreover, the distinction of compilation and the application of TPM
is not technical but legal. It is also qualitatively different in
terms of the purpose.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen at iki.fi