[cc-licenses] choosing a new license at freesound, please help

Bram @ Freesound freesound at iua.upf.edu
Thu Oct 26 03:57:38 EDT 2006

Hello Everyone,

so, ok, I understand some of the (good) reasons to be against
Attribution, and even more reasons to be against
Attribution-NonCommercial. But, pandora's box is open, and the 822
people (and rising) who have submitted to freesound will want to
*choose* a new license for their currently Sampling+ released content,
and new people will need to be able to choose at least between.

I would like to support PD, BY and BY-NC...

************

It would be great if you guys could come up with a list of single-phrase
sentences which would help the 'modal' user understand the bad points
and good points of PD, BY and BY-NC.

Afterwards I will present the user of freesound with a simple list of
choices, and list the bad/good points of each license next to it, with a
nice monkey-proof "degree of freedom" sticker going from pd => 'very
free' to by-nc => 'very restrictive'. ;-)

I prefer simpleness to completeness. I liked some of the anti-nc
examples like "If you were a font-creator, would you want to be able to
decide what's written with your font?". Examples like this are easy to
understand by the modal user...

It will be impossible to please everyone: I think letting people choose
from *all* CC licenses is *way* too hard for "them". The only thing I
can do is offer all good/bad points and let the user choose. Hopefully,
given enough reasons users will select public domain.

cheers,

  - bram