[cc-licenses] choosing a new license at freesound, please help

Evan Prodromou evan at prodromou.name
Wed Oct 25 22:41:34 EDT 2006

On Wed, 2006-25-10 at 20:58 -0400, Greg London wrote:

> > Some freesound samples are long ( > 3 minutes ) of sounds "observed" by
> > someone on the street. I don't know if there is any legal difference
> > between the 100 millisecond sound of a bass drum and 3 minutes of the
> > sound of children playing in the fairground.
>
> I swear I recall reading somewhere long ago that a sound
> recording of a thunderstorm or waves crashing on a beach
> was not copyrightable because there was no human expression
> involved.

I swear that that is incorrect information. A photograph of a
thunderstorm or waves crashing on a beach is copyrightable. There is
human expression in the selection of the photographic subject, in the
framing of the picture, and in the technical choices (f-stop, type of
film, aperture, etc.). Similarly, a sound recording.

> Other sounds from people and such might get covered,
> but I thought there had to be some level of human
> "expression" to be copyrightable.

There does have to be some expression, and there is some in sound
samples.

~Evan

--
Evan Prodromou <evan at prodromou.name>