[cc-licenses] choosing a new license at freesound, please help

Bram @ Freesound freesound at iua.upf.edu
Wed Oct 25 12:28:35 EDT 2006

rob at robmyers.org wrote:
> Including an entire sample as part of a larger work would make that 
> larger work
> a derivative in the case of a pices of music where the sound is mixed in. I
> think. So BY would work fine for this case.

So you disagree with Terry Hancock's definition of "derivative" and 
"collective" work... :-)

> Sampling+ is not NC, so using an NC license would be a major change to the
> project and would most likely reduce participation.

No, but it has this really weird sub-note about advertising which makes 
it NC-in-specific-cases. This totally confuses the "general public".

 > I recommend using BY or even a Public Domain dedication rather than
 > making the project NC. PD has worked very well for the Open Clip Art
 > Library for example.

I'm sure we need more than one license (my personal choice is between 
using by/by-nc/pd and using by/by-nc).

> The only problem with BY might be that a song that uses several BY 
> samples will have to credit all the sample providers equally.
 > This may be burdensome:

Very burdensome... that's a side effect you can't get around when using 
  anything made with a CC attribution-.... license. But it's better than 
not being able to use the samples at all.

  - bram

More information about the cc-licenses mailing list