[cc-licenses] choosing a new license at freesound, please help

Bram @ Freesound freesound at iua.upf.edu
Wed Oct 25 11:09:29 EDT 2006

Hello everyone,

I've been trying to hold out subscribing to cc-licenses myself, but it
looks like it's really necessary now. Over at the Freesound Project
we're in a bit of trouble:

We know Sampling+ is no good for samples/soundfx/field-recordings etc so
we are looking into choosing a new set of license(s).

Now there is one big problem: none of the legal code in either
sampling+, by or by-nc is particularly well suited for sound effects. A
sound-effect is almost invariably used as a "whole work" in the derived
work. Hence the definition of "derived work" is a bit strange when
talking about "samples".

Also, sometimes a sample can be more than just a sample: someone doing a
field recording of a street-organ is considered OK for freesound, but
then we're talking about something rather different.

Anyway: Could someone more knowledgeable than me please do an analysis
of using Sampling+, Attribution and Attribution-Noncomm in the context
of sound samples (think < 1 minute sound effects you use as building
blocks to create something else). What are the repercussions of using
these various licenses for derived work (and what exactly does one call
derived work of a 50 millisecond 'bass drum hit' sample?)

for those interested the related forum discussion -which is attracting a
LOT of attention- is here:
http://freesound.iua.upf.edu/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1209
It would be extra-super-great if someone from CC could jump in once in a
while to shed some "legal light" on the points raised, but I can
understand if this would be a problem.

thanks a lot,

  - bram, the freesound project ;-)