[cc-licenses] Does data mining count as creating a derivative work?

Bradley Skaggs bradley.skaggs at gmail.com
Mon Oct 16 20:11:52 EDT 2006

I want to create a TV show recommendation engine.  For it, I need lots and
lots of information about TV shows.  Fortuntely, there exists a wiki with
the exact facts I need: <http://tviv.org/>  It's under the Creative Commons
Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.

Here's my question: I want to do data mining on this wiki to generate a
database (for example, a list of links between TV show articles, and the
category of the articles, but not the content of the articles) to create a
database of related TV shows.  The database would back a website that, when
you enter one or more tv show names, would generate a list of others you
might like.  Would this be considered sufficiently different that I could
sell this service for a fee?  Could I sell my database?  Could I make this
service free, but make the site ad-supported?

I appreciate your thoughts!

--Brad