[cc-licenses] Debian and Creative Commons

Henri Sivonen hsivonen at iki.fi
Fri Oct 13 11:22:27 EDT 2006

On Oct 13, 2006, at 14:39, Clive Menzies wrote:

> So is the Debian objection based on allowing DRM locally?

My understanding is that the remaining one issue that Debian has is
that Debian wants both CC-by 3.0 and CC-by-sa 3.0 to allow the
distribution of copies that have TPM applied to them if the
distributor also distributes a non-TPMed version for another
platform. (The non-TPMed version will in practice be for another
platform, because if the platform for which the TPMed version was
targeted didn't require TPM, there'd be no need to apply TPM.)

I disagree with Debian on this point. I very much appreciate Debian's
effort in getting the other issues Debian had addressed.

(Note that discriminating against platforms that are designed to
subvert the freedoms that a license provides is not discrimination
against particular people or fields of endeavor unless you count
license subversion as a field of endeavor or think that copyleft
licenses should not discriminate against people who have a moral
conviction against copyleft as an inherent trait of their persona.)

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen at iki.fi
http://hsivonen.iki.fi/