[cc-licenses] Debian and Creative Commons

Terry Hancock hancock at anansispaceworks.com
Wed Oct 11 19:34:33 EDT 2006

Clive Menzies wrote:
>  I want a Debian-compatible Creative Commons license.

That was one major goal of the 3.0 revision.  I think it's important to
a lot of people.

IMHO, we're already there on the CC side, and the remaining problem is
with misinterpretation and politics on the Debian side. There are a few
people who seem determined that anything CC comes up with isn't good
enough, and there are others who don't seem to have had time to analyze
the problem carefully enough.

But I think we have to remember that we're fighting for the ideal of a
Free Commons, not for organizations like Creative Commons, the Free
Software Foundation, or the Debian Project.  If Debian jumps off a
cliff, I don't want to see Creative Commons follow -- at least not
without some pretty serious independent thought on the matter.

And CC is not alone.  The FSF "anti-tivoization" stand is creating the
same requirement that CC is asking for: both have taken a strong stand
against TPM/DRM.  I think Debian needs to follow suit at this point,
rather than pursuing its current anti-copyleft stance.

It has to be realized of course that Debian has not had a referendum on
this point -- CCPL3.0 (By, By-SA) may be accepted as-is, and I believe
it should be, because all "use" restrictions have been lifted and there
is no "discrimination against fields of endeavor" in the sense that is
intended in the DFSG.

Cheers,
Terry