[cc-licenses] Yet more on NC

Terry Hancock hancock at anansispaceworks.com
Tue Oct 10 15:40:59 EDT 2006

drew Roberts wrote:
> >> You are assuming that income generation is the driving force
> >> behind the selection of the NC licence. I'm not convinced that
> >> it is.
> >
> > No, I am assuming that a knee-jerk desire to deny income generation
> > for others is the driving force for the selection of NC.
>
>  I think this may indeed be the case.

Yes, and that's worse than mere "selfishness", it's just misanthropy
(wanting to damage others even if it causes no benefit to you).  It's
truly disturbing to imagine this is a major motivation for non-profit
organizations like churches and schools and so on.

I suspect it's really an un-investigated error of thought process, and
thus a failure of the Creative Commons' choices in marketing the
module.  I doubt most of those organizations would've used a "Creative
Commons Attribution - Retained Monopoly" license (maybe that's what it
should be called, to avoid confusion).

> >> For both educational and religious material, the driving force is
> >> to maximize the distribution, at the lowest cost to the original
> >> author, and the end user. [This gets back to the dual licence:
> >> "All Rights Reserved" for the hard copy, and "NC" for the
> >> e-text.]

I'm not sure who said this, but surely NC is the wrong choice for this
goal. The work will be much further distributed at NO cost to the
original author and (due to competition) and at very nearly the marginal
cost of reproduction for the end user (which for electronic distribution
is almost nil).  An unrestricted market is the best possible way to
assure this goal.

Cheers,
Terry