[cc-licenses] More on NC (was: Re: New Generic and ports)

drew Roberts zotz at 100jamz.com
Mon Oct 9 17:11:59 EDT 2006

On Monday 09 October 2006 04:52 pm, Henri Sivonen wrote:
> On Oct 9, 2006, at 23:15, Rob Myers wrote:
> > NC doesn't ensure that you make money from your work, it simply
> > prevents
> > other people from doing so.
>
> Exactly. NC is about people being concerned about other people making
> money. What they should be concerned about is making money themselves.
>
> FWIW, every time I have had income from writing software, I have
> stood on the shoulders of Free Software authors (regardless of
> whether the software I have written has been Free or proprietary--I
> have written both). If everyone else had been busy ensuring that no
> one else makes money, I couldn't have made money that way. And not
> being able to make money would have been unfortunate for me--and
> that's something that I care and should care about. Someone else
> might make money, too. Good for them.
>
> Free Software is not anti-business as is sometimes claimed. NC,
> however, is. If the licensor hasn't figured out a business model or
> isn't even looking for one, NC prevents others from building business
> on what is potential usefulness for others but unused surplus for the
> licensor--or any attempt degenerates to the permission culture.
>
> > With BY-SA you can at least exploit downstream derivative work.
> > This may
> > be more protection than NC-SA, as people will understand that they
> > have
> > to give back.
>
> CC-by-sa is also better for you in the sense that if someone else
> modifies your work, his/her NC doesn't take away *your* possibility
> of making money if you figure out a business model. With CC-by-nc-sa,
> once other have had their input, *you* can't do business even if a
> business model was handed to you on a silver platter.

Plus, all those people who might spread your reputation while trying to make
some money for themselves will pass on your NC work and may promote my BY-SA
work instead.

I know I actively seek BY-SA work to promote, so far not for money, but I have
vague hopes. If your work carries NC, ND, or ARR then you can pay me to
promote it if you want promotion from me. (I know this might be stupid on my
part when it comes to plain ND works as I could sell them, it is just that I
honestly value the opportunity to build on other works more than the
opportunity to make an income on the works of others. - I do still want that
income opportunity to be available to me though in case I ever need to make
use of it.)

So, if you feel you can make a buck from selling my BY-SA stuff, go right
ahead. No hard feelings. No endorsements either, that may cost you a piece of
the pie, but no hard feelings. (Well, perhaps some hard feelings if you are a
big time ARR copyright holder and start selling my stuff, but that is a risk
I will take for now.)

(da idea man)
National Novel Writing Month
http://www.nanowrimo.org/index.php
Join me and write a novel in 30 days! Dont delay!