[cc-licenses] New Generic and ports

Rob Myers rob at robmyers.org
Sun Oct 8 17:32:50 EDT 2006

(I am not CC, I am not a lawyer.)

Henri Sivonen wrote:

> What's the point of "New Generic" if CC doesn't believe in GSFDL-
> style licenses that are designed to be globally applicable?

Not everyone lives in a country with a CC port. They will currently be
using the standard CC licenses, which contain some US-specific language.
The new generic licenses only refer to the international copyright
treaties that most countries are signatories of. This will make the new
generic licenses better for people in countries that do not have CC
license ports.

For countries with a CC port, localised licenses will still be better. I
don't know what the plans are for porting the 3.0 licenses.

- Rob.