[cc-licenses] Position summary

melanie dulong de rosnay melanie.dulong-de-rosnay at cersa.org
Sun Oct 8 10:58:31 EDT 2006

is the latest version of the parallel distribution amendment
suggested by Debian the one proposed at http://people.debian.org/
~evan/ccsummary.html ?

"You may not distribute, publicly display, publicly perform, or
publicly digitally perform the Work with any technological measures
that prevent the recipient from exercising the rights granted to them
by section 8a and section 3 of this License, unless you also
distribute, publicly display, publicly perform or publicly digitally
perform the Work for the same recipient without those measures."

i don't think that noone is asking to be allowed to distribute CC
content on DRM platforms, but that the risk of discrimination through
restriction on exercizing the rights granted to the licensee look
higher than the additional transaction cost for a DRM platform to
negotiate separate authorizations with CC licensors. (as they may
contact licensors for other purposes: non infringement warranties,
check CC metadata are embedded in the work file format...).

thanks for the summarized position and the other comments toward
compatibility with DFSG,
melanie