[cc-licenses] New Generic and ports

Henri Sivonen hsivonen at iki.fi
Sun Oct 8 04:28:53 EDT 2006

On Oct 8, 2006, at 08:24, jonathon wrote:

> Since I expect the most significant dispute to be over the meaning of
> "Non Commercial",

FWIW, I think NC is a major bug in CC. First, I think it is
irresponsible to offer a license whose meaning is unclear even to the
CC folks themselves. Second, CC creates a brand image that CC equals
Free Culture which is even stated to be inspired by Free Software,
but NC is not Free as in Free Software. (CC also talks about Open
Music when referring to Magnatune, but Magnatune's music is not Open
as in Open Source.)

Now the Free as in Free Software type of Free Culture loses works to
NC, because having NC available makes authors choose it by knee-jerk
reaction. If NC wasn't available, to associate oneself with the brand
of Free Culture, one would actually have to make the works Free as in
Free Software.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen at iki.fi