[cc-licenses] New Generic and ports

Andres Guadamuz a.guadamuz at ed.ac.uk
Sat Oct 7 18:30:51 EDT 2006

drew Roberts wrote:

> While I can understand this, can someone talk to the issue of a long train of
> derivative works with the various generations being released under different
> county specific versions of the "same" license?
>
> all the best,
>
> drew

Peter has answered this really well, but let me add that I believe long
chains of derivatives as those that can be found in software are less
common in creative works. Firstly, we must consider that there are a lot
of No Derivatives licensed material out there. Secondly, in my short and
limited experience looking at CC content and licences, I haven't
encountered a lot of actual inter-jurisdiction licence incompatibility
in existing licences. There have to be local differences, but these can
actually help in local interpretation even if the user is employing a
generic licence. It is my opinion that in many countries courts can look
at the local version of the licence even if the user is using a generic
version. It may shock some people to learn that not all judges in the
world speak English.

Andres

--
Andres Guadamuz