[cc-licenses] New Generic and ports

Henri Sivonen hsivonen at iki.fi
Sat Oct 7 17:20:25 EDT 2006

On Oct 7, 2006, at 19:57, Peter Brink wrote:

> drew Roberts skrev:
>> On Saturday 07 October 2006 09:25 am, Peter Brink wrote:
> [snip]
>> So, what happens when a German wants to build on my BY-SA work
>> which I
>> released under the English language generic one?
>
> Since the license states that the German license can be used *in
> place*
> of the generic, the German text would IMO be used.

It says so only for derivative works. If you distribute the work
verbatim, you don't get to change the license.

Also, what happens in places with no localization?

> Based on legal theory I would say that the license would be considered
> void and there would be a return to copyright law, but that is a
> rather
> unproductive solution.

Isn't that a beautiful solution, because the licensee can't logically
both claim the license to be invalid and enjoy the rights granted by
the license?

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen at iki.fi