[cc-licenses] CreativeCommons.org clarification on CC-BY section 4.a? (was Compatibility of Attribution license with Trialware)

Terry Hancock hancock at anansispaceworks.com
Fri Oct 6 11:14:36 EDT 2006

rob at robmyers.org wrote:
>  The BY license does not require that you make source available or
>  that the original work be recoverable from derivative work or
>  systems. It is the Free Culture equivalent of the original BSD
>  license: you can use the work pretty much as you like so long as you
>  give the licensor credit. So even making the work unrecoverable from
>  a binary blob is not a violation of the license as long as that blob
>  gives credit.

The question was whether making the data inaccessible due to
trialware code would trigger the anti-TPM clause. I'm not sure if that's
considered TPM, but if it is, then I think having the *images* not
be locked by it (even if the program is) is enough to avoid a conflict.

I think this is even true for BY-SA, though, since the license of the
program doesn't affect the license of the displayed content.

In any case, it's good digital citizenship. ;-)

Cheers,
Terry