[cc-licenses] CC licenses and Zune DRM are a good match?

Elad Wieder ewieder at creativecommons.org.il
Tue Oct 3 17:13:16 EDT 2006

Guys, I think I've got it:

Microsoft fact sheets say that the WiFi sharing may not work for all of the
files on your device.
Therefore, I believe this is the constellation:

Microsoft cannot support copying files to begin with. They don't own the
copyright, and even copying it with a 3d/3p DRM is an infringement.
Microsoft, IMO, enable the sharing feature only for files downloaded from
their new music store (like iTunes), where they came to an agreement with
the rights holders. They don't DRM anything that wasn't DRM'ed before, but
they're cont contributing to an infringement by making "an infringing
device". Their device shares only what they can guarantee is legal.

And here I see the chance for CC-licensed files: If we can negotiate with
Microsoft to consider CC metadata as a "license to share", they may enable
the sharing option also for those files. Of course we're going to have a big
problem here because CC metadata is easily embedded w/o any assurance that
it was really licensed by the rights owner, but there may be 2 answers to
that argument:
1. It's not their problem. They're not responsible for people maliciously
altering copyright data. Their device check, and see a license. If anyone
embedded false license data on a file it's not their fault.
2. We can maybe make use of the new RegisteredCommons project to "validate"
the file.

What say you?

Elad

--