[cc-licenses] Compatibility of Attribution license with Trialware

Terry Hancock hancock at anansispaceworks.com
Mon Oct 2 22:12:50 EDT 2006

Melissa Cotano wrote:
>  CC-BY section 4.a states that:
>  "You may not distribute, publicly display, publicly perform, or
>  publicly digitally perform the Work with any technological measures
>  that control access or use of the Work in a manner inconsistent with
>  the terms of this License Agreement"
>
>  I would say that trialware "controls access and use of the work"
>  (since after a period of time that work becomes unavailable.) Now
>  what I am not sure is if this is considered to be "a manner
>  inconsistent with the terms of this License Agreement."

Yeah, it would be inconsistent with "CC-By" since the license permits
access indefinitely,
whereas the trialware shuts down after a period of time (i.e. the
control prevents access at a time when the license -- CC-By -- would
still permit access, hence it's inconsistent with the license terms).

The reason why this wouldn't affect the original poster's problem is
just that the content under the CC-By is separate from the program that
displays them. So as long as the content remains accessible even after
the trial has expired, the license on the content is not affected, IMHO.

Cheers,
Terry