[cc-licenses] Attribution license

drew Roberts zotz at 100jamz.com
Sun Oct 1 19:57:24 EDT 2006

On Sunday 01 October 2006 06:00 pm, Nic Suzor wrote:
> On 10/1/06, drew Roberts <zotz at 100jamz.com> wrote:
> > Oops, I know that, my bad. So, to answer, properly, no, am am not AS
> > passionate about maintaining the anti-DRM requirement in the BY license,
> > but I would like to see it there as well. Do what you like with the ND
> > and NC licenses.
>
> Using Greg's use cases, I don't believe that the attribution only
> licence should prohibit DRM. If ShareAlike-Sam creates content which
> he is happy for anyone to use, in practically any way, as long as they
> give him credit, I can't read in an extra restriction that says 'as
> long as you're not DRM-Dave (or microsoft, or whoever)'. The very
> permissive nature of this licence shouldn't discriminate on fields of
> use - from the free software perspective, people who use the
> revised-BSD style licences are more than happy for their code to be
> reused in proprietary, locked-up platforms.

Pretty much except for one key point. The license on a work does not allow
changing the license on that very same work, only on derivatives. Applying
DRM to a work could have the effect of changing the license for the same work
on a particular platform.

Now besides that, my desires as to BY are admittedly those of self interest
and not overall principle. While, when it comes to BY-SA which is my real
area of concern, it goes deeper than just self interest.

> nic

(da idea man)
http://www.ourmedia.org/node/145261
Record a song and you might win $1,000.00
http://www.ourmedia.org/user/17145