[cc-licenses] Attribution license

Nic Suzor nic at suzor.com
Sun Oct 1 18:00:30 EDT 2006

On 10/1/06, drew Roberts <zotz at 100jamz.com> wrote:
> Oops, I know that, my bad. So, to answer, properly, no, am am not AS
> passionate about maintaining the anti-DRM requirement in the BY license, but
> I would like to see it there as well. Do what you like with the ND and NC
> licenses.

Using Greg's use cases, I don't believe that the attribution only
licence should prohibit DRM. If ShareAlike-Sam creates content which
he is happy for anyone to use, in practically any way, as long as they
give him credit, I can't read in an extra restriction that says 'as
long as you're not DRM-Dave (or microsoft, or whoever)'. The very
permissive nature of this licence shouldn't discriminate on fields of
use - from the free software perspective, people who use the
revised-BSD style licences are more than happy for their code to be
reused in proprietary, locked-up platforms.

nic

--
Nic Suzor
nic at suzor.com