[cc-licenses] Attribution license

drew Roberts zotz at 100jamz.com
Sun Oct 1 08:47:01 EDT 2006

On Saturday 30 September 2006 11:17 pm, Evan Prodromou wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-30-09 at 22:36 -0400, drew Roberts wrote:
> > > So, a side question on the DRM issue: considering that the requirements
> > > of the non-copyleft Attribution license don't extend to Derivative
> > > Works -- it is the most liberal of Creative Commons licenses -- are
> > > people as passionate about maintaining the anti-DRM requirement in that
> > > license?
> >
> > I wouldn't know, perhaps. I only care really about BY-SA and BY licenses,
> > in that order. What CC chooses to do with the others doesn't really
> > bother me that much. (Well, when it comes to the traditional CC content
> > licenses.)
>
> The Attribution license is also known as the "by" license.

Oops, I know that, my bad. So, to answer, properly, no, am am not AS
passionate about maintaining the anti-DRM requirement in the BY license, but
I would like to see it there as well. Do what you like with the ND and NC
licenses. (In all honesty, the only one that I see directly concerning me as
an author, if I had my druthers, is the BY-SA licnese. I say if I had my
druthers as I keep wanting to take part in what is going on a ccmixter and CC
doesn't allow the use of the BY-SA license over there. So, I am reduced to
choosing which of my works I am willing to put under a BY license or shoosing
to apply the NC option to my works which I seriously dislike.) [Hey CC how
about running a parallel "freemixter" site which only allows BY and BY-SA
works? All works there would be freely mixable.]

Just had a new thought while writing that last paragraph. The NC option will
forbid Greg's bad Dave from getting his monopoly. At least until some
non-profit Dave comes up with a DRM system. For profit corporations will not
be able to put DRM on their players. (If they are the only ones who can put
DRM on for their players.)

> ~Evan

(da idea man)
http://www.ourmedia.org/node/145261
Record a song and you might win $1,000.00
http://www.ourmedia.org/user/17145