[cc-licenses] ParaDist Questions

Rob Myers rob at robmyers.org
Wed Nov 29 16:27:53 EST 2006

Benj. Mako Hill wrote:

> First, is this a violation of the current anti-TPM language? It seems to
> me that it probably is. If you think that is not, I'd love to hear why
> you think that technical restriction is fundamentally different between
> a greeting card and DRM.

Because the greeting card is neither intended nor implemented as DRM and
therefore is not covered by TPM law.

If the card manufacturer is concerned that they may be breaking the
license they can declare that their card does not constitute effective
TPM and that individuals have the explicit right to access the music.

> The key difference seems to be intentionality,
> but the license doesn't talk about that and probably shouldn't.

Yes, NC hangs far too much on intentionality.

> [...] why can works licensed under CC licenses without ND clauses be
> distributed to devices that cannot modify their content (i.e., anything
> with read only media)?

Because these forms do not actively prevent derivation in the same form.

> If so, why is DRM different?

Because DRM is law not technology.

- Rob.