[cc-licenses] ParaDist Questions

Mia Garlick mia at creativecommons.org
Wed Nov 29 14:54:07 EST 2006

actually, if i can elaborate on one point raised here.  when i
inherited responsibility for the licenses, i consulted with those who
drafted them as to the scope of the so-called anti-TPM clause.  they
explained that its scope was to prohibit the use of technological
measures that "control access or use of the Work *in a manner
inconsistent with the terms of this License Agreement*" (emphasis
added). thus, the 2.5 and earlier licenses are not intended to
proscribed access controls because access is not a right or privilege
granted under the license agreement although they would prohibit an
access control that also acted as a copy control measure.
consequently, as part of making version 3.0 clearer in part as a
result of discussions with Debian it seemed prudent to drop this
terminology to avoid any such confusion....