[cc-licenses] slightly OT: academic legal theory behind the 'human readable' licenses?

Luis Villa luis at tieguy.org
Mon Nov 20 16:42:05 EST 2006

Hey, all (but really primarily to the lawyers on the list :)-

As I was stumbling through Contracts this morning (specifically, a
lecture on interpretation of contracts) I was reminded of the human
readable versions of CC contracts/licenses. The question that came to
mind: were those inspired by any particular strain of academic thought
on license legibility/usability? Or did they just come out of a
general ease-of-use impulse? If there was a strain of academic thought
on the issue that was inspirational or otherwise important, any
pointers to where I could start reading?

Thanks in advance- let me know if my question itself is incomprehensible :)
Luis