[cc-licenses] CC:BY ... lost in translation?

Michael Tiemann tiemann at redhat.com
Wed Nov 15 07:22:21 EST 2006

On Tue, 2006-11-14 at 23:51 -0600, Terry Hancock wrote:

> AFAICT, "in the manner specified" is going to be limited by common sense
> to some kind of name or URI. And we're allowed to rely on common sense
> in the deed. If you want to read legal nitpicks, there's a whole long
> document explaining it all in fine detail.
>
> OTOH, it is true that "manner" is possibly being overused here.  Maybe
> "of the form specified" or "using the specified format" would evoke a
> more correct understanding?

There are very real cases of people specifying manners of attribution
that other people feel are onerous.  My example was designed to be
especially onerous, to demonstrate clearly that there are reasonable
limits.  But the real case is forcing attribution to appear on every
page of a performed work.  I'm trying to get a handle on precisely where
the limits of reasonable attribution are defined.  Since I'm dealing
with software executives, common sense does not always apply ;-(