[cc-licenses] CC:BY ... lost in translation?

Pascal Muller pascalmuller at gmail.com
Tue Nov 14 04:06:12 EST 2006

On 11/13/06, Michael Tiemann <tiemann at redhat.com> wrote:

> The text of the CC:BY 2.5 license deed (simplified text) says:
>
>         Attribution. You must attribute the work in the manner specified
>         by the author or licensor.
>
>         [ From http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.5/ ]
>
> This is much more broad than what the underlying legal code actually
> says, permits, or requires.  For example: say I'm the CEO of FUBAR Inc.
> I offer a software package under CC:BY, and the manner of attribution I
> specify is "whenever you use this software, you must wear a FUBAR T-
> shirt over your regular shirt.

That's not true. It says that work  based on the work licensed under CC:BY
needs to be credited/attributed to the original creator.

I guess your example doesn't fit into that, because you can't force someone
to do something while using the work, but only if someone makes a derivative
version.

--
Pascal Muller