[cc-licenses] Creative Commons: Fundraising Through Viral Video Sharing

Lawrence Lessig lessig at pobox.com
Thu Nov 2 16:24:03 EST 2006

I'm writing to tell you about something new Creative Commons has
launched, and to ask for your help.

Starting this week, we've launched a cool new fundraising hack: We're
the first nonprofit organization to raise money through online video
sharing.

See http://creativecommons.org/support/videos

We've uploaded our short videos to Revver, a video-sharing platform
that uses Creative Commons licenses to help creators make money from
their work.

Revver attaches a short ad at the end of each video on its network.
When a viewer clicks on the ad, Revver splits the resulting ad
revenue with the video's creator. Usually, it's a 50/50 split, but
Revver is generously giving Creative Commons 100% of the money our
videos make through the end of our fundraising campaign on December
31, 2006.

So now we're in a big push to get as many people as we can to watch
our Revverized videos (or help us spread them by embedding them on
your blog, MySpace page, or Web site). Please check out the ads, and
help Creative Commons get paid!

As part of this launch, we're premiering our latest video -- Wanna
Work Together? -- which pays tribute to the people around the world
using CC licenses and CC-licensed content to build a better, more
vibrant creative culture.

I'd be grateful for anything you can do to help us spread the word,
and get as many people as possible to watch the videos.

Thanks for your help.

Lawrence Lessig
Creative Commons