[cc-licenses] Version 3.0 - Revised License Drafts

Jim Sowers jim at spincycle.org
Wed Nov 1 19:33:02 EST 2006

Thanks Mia.  I had assumed that there had been discussion on this, but was
being lazy, as reviewing archives (or bug posts) before posting (or filing a
bug) can take some time.  Forgive me on that front.  I will try to read some
of the archives.

My take away is that a BlogSpot blogger -- who pays nothing for bandwidth --
would/should likely be prohibited.  I mean, that is Google's business model:
we supply you tools and ad sponsors, you supply us content and traffic; our
ad sponsors pay for the bandwidth, and then some, which we share with you.

The devil is always in the details, and I'm not trying to lawyer this to
death.  However, looking to people's intentions as you know is problematic.

>From a very pragmatic standpoint, and where this started, is that my
non-lawyer friends have asked me: "If I post stuff using a CC non-commercial
license, can people use it in their blogs that have ad campaigns where they
are getting paid?"  They want a short simple answer.  And I couldn't give
them one.

jim