[cc-licenses] Pearl Jam trying to limit the time the license applies?

Terry Hancock hancock at anansispaceworks.com
Tue May 23 01:35:40 EDT 2006

J.B. Nicholson-Owens wrote:
>  If the license is "perpetual (for the duration of the applicable
>  copyright)" what will happen on May 24, 2006?

Most likely, the copy currently on the website will be removed,
or else re-licensed.

If you already have a copy, then the existing license will apply
until the work enters the public domain -- but you won't be able
to get it from the website.  Since it has NC licensing, the
only way you'll be able to get it after that is through "non-commercial"
channels (e.g. P2P networks).

Of course, it's possible that Pearl Jam doesn't realize this and
thinks they can retract all copies, but I suspect they probably
know better.  It's not clear to me what the point of doing this
really is.

Cheers,
Terry

(who is not a lawyer) ;-)