[cc-licenses] Founders as a module? was Re: Getting to Version 3.0

drew Roberts zotz at 100jamz.com
Mon May 22 09:23:19 EDT 2006

On Monday 22 May 2006 08:46 am, rob at robmyers.org wrote:
> Quoting drew Roberts <zotz at 100jamz.com>:
> > I think it is too
> > early to conclude that BY-SA does not allow for a successful business
> > model while BY-NC-SA does.
>
> Yes this is unproven. BY-SA is untested rather than failed in this context.
> If we look at the software model, noncommercial software has proven much
> less successful than copyleft software. And in music, NC is core to only a
> few businesses strategies. Many of which make their money in other ways.
>
> There is one very good example of a Copyleft project that has out-performed
> a Proprietary project: Wikipedia has done much better than h2g2.
>
> > While I am a big BY-SA fan, I might be willing to go the other direction
> > as well.
>
> I really don't see what's in that scheme for you. :-)

Well, if it get's someone to build on my stuff who normally would not have and
I get his stuff as BY-SA in a few years, that is what is in it for me.
Besides, the way this copyleft stuff works, if you do take advantage of what
is available to you, you are paid, up front, with way more than you put back
in. That is where I find myself.

The value of what we are building for each other, greatly exceeds the ability
of the average one of us to pay for.

That said, I did mention that I may not go for the idea after further thought
and discussion.

Do you have any further thoughts, ideas, or comments?

> - Rob.

http://www.ourmedia.org/node/145261
Record a song and you might win $1,000.00
http://www.ourmedia.org/user/17145