[cc-licenses] Founders as a module? was Re: Getting to Version 3.0

rob at robmyers.org rob at robmyers.org
Mon May 22 08:46:44 EDT 2006

Quoting drew Roberts <zotz at 100jamz.com>:

> I think it is too
> early to conclude that BY-SA does not allow for a successful business model
> while BY-NC-SA does.

Yes this is unproven. BY-SA is untested rather than failed in this context. If
we look at the software model, noncommercial software has proven much less
successful than copyleft software. And in music, NC is core to only a few
businesses strategies. Many of which make their money in other ways.

There is one very good example of a Copyleft project that has out-performed a
Proprietary project: Wikipedia has done much better than h2g2.

> While I am a big BY-SA fan, I might be willing to go the other direction as
> well.

I really don't see what's in that scheme for you. :-)

- Rob.