[cc-licenses] NonDerivative NonCommercial Licenses

Greg London email at greglondon.com
Fri Mar 31 08:20:16 EST 2006

> There is no such thing as a "commercial" fork in the
> accepted sense of both words though.

I was thinking a commercial fork would apply
more to some CC-NC licensed works, where
the author(s), release the work under an
NC license, but also sell a commercial license
to some company. Or, perhaps a CC-BY project
gets forked under CC-BY-NC.

In the software world of Copyleft or BSD licenses,
the term "commercial fork" doesn't really have a place.
And I'd probably just use "proprietary fork".
I don't know of any big software projects that
have non-commercial restrictions. They seem to
have split into GPL, BSD, or All Rights Reserved.

But with "NC" as a viable option for CC stuff,
there seems to be a couple of ways you can fork
those projects.

--
Bounty Hunters: Metaphors for Fair IP laws
http://www.greglondon.com/bountyhunters/